Thursday, May 08, 2014

BoS Drawing Challenge - #67 Playing the Melody

Another slow one - but I really wanted to colour / shade it :


This is supposed to be the Piper, from Garth Nix's 'Keys to the Kingdom' series - which I enjoyed a lot. The Piper is one of the Architect's children ( the Architect created ... well, the universe - so he's sorta supposed to be God, though he has 'gone', and his Will subverted by the Trustees, but this is all by the by ), and he's strongly suggested to be the Pied Piper of Legend. He's supposed to be dead, murdered by parties unknown in the story - but he turns up in the 3rd or 4th book ( from memory ), with an army trying to reclaim 'The House'. He proclaims himself the rightful heir of the Will, even though it is stipulated that a mortal MUST be the heir.

His face is covered by a golden mask, and you find out that ( spoilers follow ) that only his will survived his murder attempt, and there is essentially nothing beneath the mask.

I thought that was cool and chilling in equal amounts.

I think this drawing turned out pretty well, and though I could have spent more time on the colouring and background - I was starting to get bored. I like how it looks. The arms look a bit out of proportion - a touch too long - but other than that, it isn't too bad !


No comments: