Friday, April 30, 2021

Grail - T-Shirt element

 I did a bit of punch-up work on a student submission for out school's current production t-shirt. 

I re-did the Grail image - made it a bit fancier. Here it is. Just finished now. 

I learned how to do a proper halftone effect with photoshop with this, so some good learning as well. 

Thursday, April 29, 2021

New Project idea - "King in Yellow" playing card woodcut

 I've been wanting to get into a new woodcut, and nothing was coming to me in terms of imagery for a new Tarot design.I was scrolling through Pinterest for ideas, and I happened on a piece of art on the 'The King in Yellow' - the eldritch horror fictional play. I've loved the idea of 'The King in Yellow' ever since I first encountered it in a game of Call of Cthulu I played back in the 90's. 

 It was a neat picture, and was a cartoonish representation of Hastur ( The 'King' ), Queen Calisda ( one of the tragic figures in the play ) and her children. 

 And I thought - 'Hey, a playing card - one half Hastur and the other Quean Calsida - would be pretty cool.' 

 So that's where I'm going ! I've done a couple of experimental sketches ( nothing amazing there ! ), and I think it could look good. Here's the current one. I think I spent more time measuring up the dimensions of the card ! 

I don't like the current placement of the staff, and I think I could change the arm to a mass of tentacles. The mask is alright, but I could make it look much more sinister. The cloak needs work. BUT - I like the idea and the direction. 

More as it happens.

Sunday, April 04, 2021


 I think it's done. Let's see what the Art Director of the Drabblecast says !

Sunday, March 28, 2021



Stuff I did - Tarot Woodcuts

 In the last couple of years I've tired my hand at making woodcuts. I hadn't done one since I was at high school - so a good twenty or so years ! 

I made these for friends of mine, and was very happy with the way they turned out. I'll have to break out the gouges and make another one sometime soon ! 

Tuesday, March 23, 2021

Stuff I Did - 'Thee Time Visitor' cover

 I really like the way this turned out - even though all I'm doing here is messing with photos that other people took.

Stuff I Did - 'My Friend of Misery' cover

 Another cover for Rish. I'm really happy that Rish likes the stuff I do. I often flounder around if I have to think of stuff to draw myself. Having a direction from someone else is weirdly liberating. 

Stuff I Did - 'Podcatcher' cover

 I'm going to post some of the stuff I've done since 2017. I had a friend who wanted to see some of my art stuff - but I didn't get to the last time I saw her. Also - constant reader - you may enjoy it too. 

I hope so ! 


 I did a piece of cover art for storytelling genius Rish Outfield earlier this year. He specifically asked for an 'Edward Gorey' type effect - which meant a LOT of cross hatching. I quite liked the finished look of it - so I'm trying to use some here as well. 

What do you think ? I like it. ( *King Julian voice* ) 

Sunday, March 21, 2021


 I was hoping to get more done on this over the last couple of days. Was not to be. Still - something is better than nothing !

Sunday, March 14, 2021

New commission

 I recently got in touch with the Art Director of The Drabblecast podcast, and asked if he needed an artist to volunteer. I had done a few covers for The Drabblecast a few years back, but then they stopped asking me. I wondered if I'd somehow offended him or said something stupid - or maybe submitted some really bad art. But no - I'd just fallen of the rotation, and he seemed quite happy to have me back. 

I'd played around with a couple of sketches eralier in the week, and decided on a way to go with this one. 

 I managed to scan in a rough sketch, and have spent a couple of hours getting the outlines of the main figure done.  I'm happy with how it's going so far.