Tuesday, August 27, 2013

And now for something completely different ... 3D text !

I'm doing some cover art for the all-round swell guy Rish Outfield, and his solo podcasting project.

I started experimenting with 3D text tonight - nothing too fancy, just trying to learn the ropes a bit. Here's what I came up with :

So - in doing this I learnt about extruding 3d objects from a layer selection, rotating objects, changing the alignment of the 3D plane, changing aspects of 'infinite lighting' , adding a new lighting source, changing the extrusion depth of 3D objects, how to render a 3D image, and dynamic lighting as a filter effect. Not too bad for a couple of hours. I also was playing around with mesh texture wraps - but all the default ones looked pretty bad on this - so I didn't use one. I'll have to search for some cool ones on line. A decent metal texture might be cool.

No comments: